Gene Watson Gallery
When the Haywarden Inn was operating in Gladstone, conventions were often held on the grounds. In April 1907, close to 100 white tents were set up on the grounds when the Knights of Pythias held their convention there. The Gladstone Knights held their regular meetings upstairs at 919 Delta Ave. Until about the 1920s, the Knights also held family nights and dances there, which were special events for people in the area. The organization, no longer in Gladstone, was founded in Washington, D.C., in 1864 and is now headquartered in Massachusetts. The photo looks east from the corner of 8th Street and Wisconsin Avenue, where the All Saints Church is located. The Haywarden Inn was opened in 1893 by the Soo Line Railroad and was termed the finest inn in the Upper Peninsula.