Sportsman’s Club to hold trappers workshop
ONTONAGON — The Michigan Department of Natural Resources announced the Lake Superior Sportsman’s Club will offer its ninth-annual Trappers’ Workshop Saturday, Sept. 29 at the club’s facilities in Ontonagon County.
The workshop will begin at 10 a.m. EDT (9 a.m. CDT) Sept. 29. Lunch will be provided. The club is located 1.5 miles east of Silver City at 31433 W. M-64.
“This workshop is designed to give participants a basic understanding of how to begin trapping or, for those seasoned trappers, to get updated on new techniques and to rub elbows with other trappers,” said Don Harris, workshop instructor and one of the club’s directors.
The workshop will cover the ethics of trapping, safe trap handling and basic trap sets for water and land animals including coyotes, raccoons and beavers. Additional topics to be discussed include proper equipment, fur prices, lure use, fur types and many aspects of how to start, or get back into, trapping.
The club will be drawing winners for its five-gun fundraiser at 1 p.m.
Additional information to consider:
– Admission is free.
– Workshop is open to the public.
– Experienced and inexperienced trappers are welcome.
– Children younger than 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
– Participants will be given some trapping “goodies” as well as an assortment of literature on trapping.
– Camping and lodging are available nearby.
– Pre-registration is suggested.