NLL soccer tourney

MUNISING — The Hannahville Soaring Eagles settled for a split in the Northern Lights League soccer tournament here Saturday, earning a 3-2 shootout victory over Mackinac Island before dropping a 6-1 decision to Beaver Island.

Hannahville was trailing in the opener before Mason Thunder tied the score. Xander Spry scored in the shootout and Mequon Jackson hit the match-winner against Mackinac Island.

Thunder then scored in the first half for the Soaring Eagles, who trailed 3-1 at halftime of the season finale.

“It was heck of a match with Mackinac Island,” said Hannahville coach Dan Kleikamp. “We had a lot of opportunities, we just couldn’t get them in. We came out a little flat, then played better in the last 45 minutes. Shaye Halfaday’s defense was phenomenal. He saved easily six goals. He kept clearing the ball out of our zone.

“Beaver Island had three goals by a half-step,” said Kleikamp. “The kids were getting pretty tired, but we gave it all we had.”

Big Bay de Noc opened with a victory over Grand Marais before falling to Munising Baptist.

Munising Baptist then beat Beaver Island for its first league title.

NMU splits with MSU

MARQUETTE — The Northern Michigan hockey team shut out Michigan State 2-0 here Saturday to salvage a weekend split.

Griffin Loughran got the Wildcats on the board 12:34 into the game on a power play goal. Vincent de Mey put on the finishing touches when he fired the puck out of the defensive zone towards the net, where MSU goalie Drew DeRidder misplayed it and allowed it to score.

NMU goalie John Hawthorne got his first career shutout in his first career start, becoming the first Wildcat to open his career with a shutout in over a decade.

The Wildcats (1-1) fell to the Spartans 5-3 Friday.

MSU (1-1) got on the board first before NMU’s Hank Sorenson knotted the score at 1. MSU scored once more in the period and then added a goal in the second to go up 3-1 entering the third.

De Mey pulled NMU back within one midway through the third period before MSU increased its lead to 4-2. The Wildcats again pulled within a goal when Grant Loven buried a deep shot off a rebound, but the Spartans scored again to hang on for the win.

Nolan Kent stopped a career-high 16 shots for NMU.

Tech icers swept

HOUGHTON — The Michigan Tech hockey team dropped a pair of home games to Alaska Fairbanks over the weekend. The Huskies fell 3-2 Friday and 2-1 Saturday in a pair of WCHA contests.

Friday, Tech trailed 3-0 before mounting a rally. Brian Halonen got the Huskies (2-2, 0-2) on the board with a goal from the doorstep with eight minutes left in the second period. However, the Huskies didn’t score again until Tommy Parrottino scored on a long shot with 1:14 left in the game after they pulled goaltender Matt Jurusik to create an advantage.

Alaska scored all three of its goals in the second period.

Jurusik made 19 saves.

The Nanooks (2-2, 2-0) again put Tech in a 2-0 hole Saturday. Logan Pietila scored Tech’s only goal when he created a turnover on a penalty kill and scored on a breakaway for his first collegiate goal with 6:53 left in the second period.

Jurusik made 12 saves before being pulled 24 minutes into the game after giving up two goals. Robbie Beydoun stopped seven shots in the final 36 minutes.