Breaking News
Local News

Horse rehoming discussed at hearing for Rapid River owner

By Sophie Vogelmann 4 min read
Arnold Proehl, seated nearest to the camera, appeared in the Delta County 94th District Court Tuesday. (Sophie Vogelmann | Daily Press)

ESCANABA -- The potential rehoming of 10 horses was a key point of discussion Tuesday during a pre-trial hearing for a man accused of allowing the animals to run at large for more than a week in the Rapid River area.

Arnold Proehl, 78, appeared in the Delta County 94th District Court Tuesday. On July 15, Proehl pleaded not guilty to 10 misdemeanor counts of animals running at large.

During Tuesday's hearing, Delta County Prosecuting Attorney Lauren Wickman said properly rehoming the horses is a critical element of the case involving Proehl.

Wickman and Proehl's defense attorney, Norman Moore, also discussed potential options for resolving the case. Wickman said she will continue to pursue rehoming the horses and will work with Moore on the matter.

"We have 10 horses that (could be signed) off on to an individual across the state," Wickman said. "I need to do some due diligence related to that person."

Wickman later continued, "I had suggested that perhaps directly forfeiting horses to, or signing off on horses, might be the more appropriate terminology. Signing off on the horses to UPAWS (Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter) would be a better option, because they're obviously a vetted facility, versus going through some random individual that's been located through Facebook."

94th District Court Judge Steve Parks agreed with Wickman, noting the importance of vetting whoever ultimately receives the animals if that course of action is taken.

A trial remains another potential avenue for resolving the case.

"The buzz out there in the community that these horses are not cared for properly, there's no evidence of that," Parks said. "But I do think this is the case, given that in a few months we're going to be in colder weather, that this may well be what I'm going to want to put to the top of the trial pile."

The charges Proehl faces stem from an incident that took place in July, when community members made multiple calls to law enforcement after horses were seen roaming roadways and private property in the T.65 Road area of Masonville Township.

The horses roaming at large reportedly created potential traffic hazards and public safety concerns.

On June 29, the Michigan State Police were asked to conduct a welfare check on the horses. According to MSP Eighth District Public Information Officer Benjamin Eckola, troopers found the animals appeared healthy and had access to food and water.

The horses escaped July 3 after reportedly being startled by nearby fireworks and breaking through a fence. Authorities received multiple reports of loose horses on area roads, including U.S. 41 near Sunnybrook Lane, and on property in the T.65 Road area of Masonville Township. Troopers and assisting agencies initially were unable to locate them.

On July 4, an MSP trooper contacted Proehl after receiving information identifying him as the owner. According to police, Proehl said he was unaware the horses were missing.

The following day, MSP received a report that the horses had been located at a nearby farm, where they remained until they were returned to Proehl over the weekend.

Proehl, who identified himself as the horses' caretaker to the Daily Press, has previously been convicted of felony cruelty to 10 or more animals in 2009 after 16 horses were removed from a Rapid River farm where investigators said the animals lacked adequate food, water, shelter, exercise and medical care.

According to Delta County District Court records, Proehl was also previously charged with animals running at large in 2001, 2005 and 2006. Those cases were dismissed. He also was charged in 2008 with animal abandonment/cruelty, and that case was dismissed.

------

Sophie Vogelmann can be reached at 906-786-2021 or svogelmann@dailypress.net.

Starting at /week.