Neighbors rescue badly burned man from house fire

MANISTIQUE — A Manistique resident was badly burned when his home caught fire early Sunday morning, according to the Manistique Public Safety Department. The male occupant was rescued from the burning home by neighbors.

At 1:46 a.m., officers were dispatched to the scene of a structure fire on the 200 block of Range Street in Manistique. A neighbor observed a large fire through their back yard and was not sure if a home was burning. Officers then received further information that a home located at 220 Range Street was fully engulfed in flames and the home’s occupant was badly burned.

Manistique Public Safety officers responded with both fire and EMT units at the scene. When officers arrived they found the occupant had been suffered serious burns. He had been rescued from the home by residents in the neighborhood. The injured resident was taken to Schoolcraft Memorial Hospital for treatment of his injuries.

Officers found the rear of the home was fully engulfed in fire. Personnel from Manistique Public Safety and the Manistique Volunteer Fire Department attacked the fire and kept it from spreading to neighboring home. Mutual aid was given by the Hiawatha Volunteer Fire Department ladder apparatus and extra personnel from the Inwood Township Volunteer Fire Department.

The cause of the fire is believed to be related to a wood stove being used inside the rear portion of the residence.

There were no firefighters injured while fighting the blaze. Efforts to extinguish the fire were hampered by the close proximity of neighboring homes and single digit temperatures, which impacted both firefighters and equipment.

Manistique Public Safety received assistance at the scene from the Michigan State Police, Manistique Water Department and the Hiawatha and Inwood Township Fire Departments.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today