Neighbors, dog save man from fire

MANISTIQUE — With the help of neighbors, a Manistique man and his home were saved when the structure caught fire Thursday evening.

Manistique Public Safety officers and volunteer fire department were dispatched to a house fire at 10:37 p.m. Thursday at the home of Richard Weber, 7062 W. Tannery Road, Manistique.

Upon arrival at the scene, officers found a wood pile next to the north wall of Weber’s home was on fire, with high flames along the home’s wall and rear wooden porch. Firefighters extinguished the flames with minimal damage to the home, according to a news release.

Weber, who was sleeping inside the home at the time of the fire, was not injured.

Investigation determined Weber and his home was ultimately saved with help from his neighbors, Jeannie Jenerou and Dennis Kelly.

Jenerou was awoken by her dog, Shiffo, who wanted to go outside. Upon letting out her dog, Jenerou noticed flames emerging from the back of Weber’s home. Jenerou called Kelly, who dialed 911.

Kelly made his way to the home and woke up the sleeping Weber and alerted him of the fire.

“A structure fire which occurs in the evening hours can result in the total loss of the home and/or loss of life due to the fire not being detected until it is large and out of control,” said Manistique Public Safety Director Ken Golat.

Because the wood pile was stored so closely to the wall of the unsided, two-story wood frame home, a full structure fire was imminent, with the homeowner sleeping inside, noted Golat.

The cause of the fire was determined to be embers from a wood-burning chimney, which fell on the woodpile and ignited it, said police.