Community

Column: Old houses and land have much to say

By John Pepin Michigan DNR MARQUETTE — “This old house is getting shaky, this old house is getting old, this old house lets in the rain, this old house lets in the cold,” – Stuart Hamblen There’s a field I know that I often drive past on my way to quiet and contemplative places ...

Fundraiser for new YMCA pool set

ESCANABA — The Women of Steel/Local 21 will hold a fundraiser for the construction of a new YMCA pool from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday, April 28. It will be held at the Local 21 Union Hall at 1201 Sheridan Road, Escanaba. There will be a pancake breakfast, bake sale, bucket raffles and a 50/50 ...

Courts

ESCANABA — Defendants were recently sentenced in Delta County Circuit Court. They include: Randee Jaymes Matthews, address unknown, pleaded n contest to attempted domestic violence. He was sentenced to 233 days in jail with credit for 233 days served. He was also assessed fines, costs and ...

For the record: Appropriation ordinance was set

GLADSTONE — The article published on Monday, April 11 about Gladstone City mistakenly stated that a budget hearing had been set. The city’s new budget for the fiscal year of April 1, 2024, to March 31, 2025, was already introduced and adopted last month. An ordinance must officially be ...

Adopt-A-Highway pickup starts May 18-26 in U.P.

LANSING — In an annual rite of spring, volunteers will fan out across the state to give state highway roadsides their first cleaning The first AAH pickup for the Upper Peninsula will be later, from May 18 to 26, when spring has had more time to set in for the northern part of the ...

Police Log

ESCANABA — Activities of the Escanaba Public Safety Department: April 3 12:22 a.m. - general noncriminal, 600 block South 13th Street 1:19 a.m. - general noncriminal, 700 block 2nd Avenue South 3:47 a.m. - general noncriminal, 300 block Ludington Street 5:14 a.m. - civil matter ...