The Century Book 1863-1963
Escanaba firemen are pictured in this photograph taken in 1892 when the first paid fire department was established. The firemen are: from left, Chief James Tolan, Driver Charles Brickley, Joseph Embs, Martin Finucan, Duncan McRae, and Herman Kamrath. The large St. Bernard dog was the department mascot. Although the department had a chief, John Walch, until 1884, the department was manned by volunteers. According to The Century Book, "When the alarm was sounded, there was a mad scramble from the various buildings along Main Street as the volunteers rushed to the station to secure the hood and ladder carts and hose reels. Long ropes were fastened to these vehicles and a force of about 20 men or more would pull the equipment to the fires. The volunteers were paid $1 per call."