Gladstone school board gets new member
GLADSTONE — A new board member was appointed to the Gladstone Area Schools Board of Education during the board’s regular meeting Monday night. The appointment came after Steve O’Driscoll resigned from his position on the board to become a bus driver for the school district at last month’s meeting.
Robert LaFave was appointed as the new member of the board and he will be on the board until the next election.
“Robert LaFave registered interest, he is here, he lives in the district, he meets our qualifications and he served on the board in Escanaba when he lived … there,” Superintendent Jay Kulbertis said.
President Steve Tackman said it was great to have someone in the community step up to fill the position with prior experience being on a board of education.
After LaFave was sworn in, the board nominated and elected LaFave to become the vice president as the position was left vacant after O’Driscoll’s departure from the board.
During the meeting LaFave was appointed to various committees to take over the positions vacated by O’Driscoll. LaFave replaced O’Driscoll on the committees he served on with the exception of O’Driscoll’s role on the Labor Relations committee, which was filled by Board Member Henry Knoch. LaFave was appointed to Knoch’s role on the Curriculum and Personnel committee.
At the end of the meeting the board went into closed session for attorney client privilege communications and negotiations. No action was taken following the closed session.
In other business, the board:
– Approved the agenda for the meeting and the minutes from the last board of education meeting.
– Approved the payment of general fund bills numbered 58045-58207.
– Approved the hire of Kristie Nevala and Melinda Tauke as varsity cheerleading co-coaches.
– Approved the hire of Ryan Barron for the positions of girl’s tennis coach and Quiz Bowl advisor.
– Approved the hire of David Lindbeck as Gladstone High School assistant principal and athletic director. Andrew Jacques, who used to fill the positions, was hired on to be the Gladstone High School principal.
– Approved the hire of John Banwell as maintenance, building and grounds director.
– Scheduled the 2019-2020 fiscal year budget hearing for Wednesday, June 26 at 6 p.m.