FORD RIVER TOWNSHIP - A detached garage and a vehicle were destroyed by a fire in Ford River Township Thursday night, according to Fire Chief Jon Giese.
Ford River Township firefighters were called out at 10:15 p.m. to the scene of a structure fire at E4668 M-35 to find a garage fully involved in flames, he said.
The renter, Sheldon Wallin, was home at the time of the blaze but was not injured. The property is owned by William Vertz.
The garage and a vehicle parked inside were a total loss but firefighters were able to save the mobile home in close proximity to the garage, said Giese. The house had some exterior heat damage. A shuttle bus parked next to the garage had significant damage due to the fire.
Firefighters remained at the scene until about 1 a.m., said the fire chief who suspects the blaze may have been caused from a wood stove chimney fire in the garage.
Escanaba Public Safety provided mutual aid. Rampart Ambulance was on stand by. No injuries were reported.