Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Staff Contacts | Affiliates | Home RSS
 
 
 

Blaze damages area home

Rapid River couple picks up the pieces after fire destroys garage, ruins home

October 11, 2013
By Jenny Lancour - staff writer (jlancour@dailypress.net) , Daily Press

RAPID RIVER - A Rapid River couple are picking up the pieces today after a fire destroyed their garage and extensively damaged their home Thursday morning.

David and Dawn Holmgren were planning to fly to Washington state today to enjoy a vacation there with their son and daughter until a fire broke out in their garage at 10995 T.65 Road, about a mile northeast of Rapid River.

Dawn was at home when she noticed what she thought was steam coming from the eaves at around 8 a.m. When she realized it was really smoke, she called 911 and then called her husband who was at work.

Article Photos

Firefighters, above, work to extinguish a blaze at a Rapid River home on T.65 Road Thursday morning. The fire started in the attached garage and spread to a vehicle and the house. There were no injuries. The home was insured. (Daily Press photo by Jenny Lancour)

Volunteer firefighters responded from three departments including Masonville, Ensign and Brampton townships. Upon their arrival, the fire was consuming the garage and a vehicle that was parked outside.

As crews worked to extinguish the blaze, flames spread to the breezeway connecting the garage to the house which caught fire as well. Smoke poured out of the eaves of the home and flames could be seen inside as firefighters pumped water into the structure.

David and Dawn were stunned as they witnessed their home and belongings burn.

"This was my husband's worst nightmare," commented Dawn.

David said it's something he's always watched out for as a homeowner.

The couple lost just about everything due to the extensive fire, smoke and water damage. The one-story home was insured.

While the Holmgrens stood in their yard watching the fire, Dawn shook her head as she thought about all the family photographs, their computer, and many antiques which will never be able to be replaced.

"They're just things," she added, reminding herself no one was hurt.

Firefighters were at the scene for more than five hours. Masonville Township EMS was on standby. The Red Cross also assisted firefighters and the homeowners.

The Holmgrens had to postpone their vacation and are staying at a local motel.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web