Gene Watson Gallery photos
Students at Bay de Noc Township's Halfway School in 1920 are shown in this picture that originally belonged to Bertha Holm, a longtime resident of the Stonington area. The youngsters in the photo have been identified as follows: from left, Anna (Erickson) Anderson, Bertha (Erickson) Holm, Clara (Peterson) Andrews, Anna (Bjurman) Thorsen (sitting on the ground), Geraldine (Hanson) Nyren, Elna Granskog, Birdie Thorsen, teacher Anna Johnson, Fritz Bjurman, Tom Erickson, Carl Thorsen, Arvid Granskog, Mayer Jacobson, Axel Carlson, Arthur Jacobson, Ralph Bjurman, and Iver Granskog. The Halfway House, located on County Road 511, was built in 1905 and was one of several schools on the Stonington Peninsula. It closed for school consolication with the Rapid River School.