ESCANABA - In observance of National Assisted Living Week, Sept. 9-15, North Woods, a senior living community by Assisted Living Concepts, hosted a series of events developed as a special opportunity to bring together residents, families, employees, volunteers and the surrounding community to celebrate "Art for the Ages."
"Art for the Ages" was chosen because it is about celebrating creativity, appreciating all forms of art, and recognizing how art enhances everyone's lives.
"Art for the Ages" celebrated the artist in everyone. Whether it was a resident's painting or a local school choir, art inspires, moves, and shapes people's lives," said Mark Mleczewski, residence director at North Woods. "This week long celebration was a demonstration of the commitment assisted living professionals feel when providing care and services to residents in their communities."
Sophia Lindgren, at left, resident ambassador for North Woods Assisted Living, and fellow resident, Kathy Bosilovitz, try their hand at sponge painting on Wednesday afternoon. The painting was just one of the weeklong activities that took place during National Assisted Living Week.
Joyce Micensky puts the finishing touches on her sponge painting.
Below left, resident Ellen Jensen uses a sponge to mix some colors for the painting she is working on. Resident, Henry Makosky, left, enjoys a little conversation with fellow residents, Bert and Eunice Doutree. Bert is a resident ambassador for the facility.
Resident Ellen Jensen uses a sponge to mix some colors for the painting she is working on.
Some of the week's special events included:
1) Paintings display - all week - displaying paintings from Bonifas Art Center.
2) Grandparents Day - Sunday, Sept. 9, with youth volunteers presenting flowers to the residents followed by a football party at 4 p.m.
3) Painting with residents - Wednesday. Residents sponge painted with quotes about family on canvas boards.
4) Violin performance - Friday. Local violinist, Sarah Marenger, performed classic music.
5) Singing performance - Saturday. Silverwinds Worship Singers performed songs from the gospel.
North Woods, located near the intersection of Lincoln Road and 5th Avenue South, promotes independence and individuality with private apartments, restaurant style dining, and social activities. Residents enjoy the freedom and advantages of living independently in an environment surrounded by friends and a caring staff.