HERMANSVILLE - The sign on the front of the Company House No. 9 relates the story of the Company House No. 9. The Company House is located on the grounds of the IXL Museum in Hermansville.
Between the year 1880 and 1920, the Wisconsin Land and Lumber Company built about 150 small houses which they rented to their employees.
In the early 1940s, the company started selling them to the townspeople. As they went to private ownership the people remodeled them by building additional rooms, installing basements, central heating, bathrooms, running water, new roofing and siding, windows, etc.
On the roof of the Company House No. 9 on the grounds of the IXL Historical Museum, Hermansville, are workmen from the Shaun DeGrave Construction of Wilson who put on a new roof on the Company House No. 9.
This is the house No. 9 built around 1885. It was located on the west side of Park Avenue. It is the only one left that never had underwent major change. It was donated to the IXL Museum and moved to the location in the fall of 2000. The building stands much as it did in 1900.