Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Staff Contacts | Affiliates | Home RSS
 
 
 

Family escapes blaze

Early morning fire damages area home

January 31, 2011
Daily Press

MANISTIQUE - A Manistique family escaped uninjured from their home after they realized it was on fire early Saturday morning, according to Manistique Public Safety.

Officers were alerted of a fire at the home of Jason Gregurash and Molly White at 627 Manistique Ave. at 1:11 a.m., stated Public Safety Director Ken Golat in a news release.

"Both parents were awake in the first floor kitchen area when they smelled smoke and discovered the fire in the basement area," Golat stated. "Jason and Molly then got their children out of the home without injury."

Upon arrival at the scene, officers determined the blaze had started in the basement and worked its way up the first floor wall to the attic. Firefighters brought the fire under control within 30 minutes and remained at the scene for another hour to extinguish hot spots and mop up.

The home received moderate fire, water and smoke damage. The cause of the blaze is suspected to be electrical.

The family is staying with relatives living nearby. No one was injured. A pet rabbit died in the basement as a result of the fire.

Fact Box

At a glance

Officers were alerted of a fire at the home of Jason Gregurash and Molly White at 627 Manistique Ave., in Manistique at 1:11 a.m.

The family escaped uninjured.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web