Overheated fan blamed for house fire

WELLS TOWNSHIP — An overheated fan is being blamed for starting a house fire in Wells Township Tuesday.

Escanaba Public Safety officers responded to 3343 U.S. 2 and 41, Wells Township at about 11:47 a.m. after Delta County Central Dispatch received a 9-1-1 call reporting a house fire. When officers arrived on the scene, they found flames coming from the home’s second-story north window.

Officers (who received mutual aid from Ford River Township Volunteer Fire Department) used several attack lines to extinguish the fire. Their exterior and interior attack at the north upstairs bedroom brought the flames under control quickly. Thanks to this and a compressed air foam suppression system used by public safety to combat fires, fire damage was minimized to the second story, officers said.

While residents were home at the time of the fire, all five family members were able to escape without injury. Additionally, no injuries were sustained by firefighters. Officers were at the scene for about two hours.

Along with Ford River Township Volunteer Fire Department, officers were assisted by Delta County Central Dispatch, Delta County Sheriff’s Department, American Red Cross, Delta County Victim Services Unit, Rampart EMS, and Wisconsin Electric.

The cause of the fire may have been an overheating box fan in the north upstairs bedroom.

COMMENTS