Man gets prison for sexual assault
ESCANABA — A 22-year-old Escanaba man who admitted to sexually assaulting two girls was sentenced to a minimum of five years and seven months in prison at the Delta County Courthouse Tuesday.
Matthew Rian Mattson was charged earlier this year with two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct involving two minor victims. Each felony carries a maximum punishment of 15 years in prison.
During a pretrial conference hearing in August, he opted to be tried by a jury. The two-day trial was scheduled to take place this week.
Later, during a plea hearing in October, he admitted to having sexual intercourse with a 14-year-old female and a 15-year-old female. One incident occurred on Jan. 6, 2017 while the other incident occurred on Nov. 22, 2016, both in Escanaba.
Mattson pleaded guilty to one count of criminal sexual conduct – assault with intent to commit criminal sexual penetration against a person 14 years of age, a 10-year felony. He also pleaded guilty to one count of accosting a minor for immoral purposes, a four-year felony.
In exchange for the two guilty pleas, the prosecution agreed to dismiss the two 15-year felonies.
During Mattson’s sentencing before Judge Robert Goebel Jr. on Tuesday, Mattson expressed regret for his actions.
“I’m very sorry for what I did and I understand what I did was wrong,” he said, adding he plans to work on his alcohol and drug problem.
Assistant Prosecutor Jessica Pelto told the court she agreed with the court’s recommendation to sentence Mattson at the higher end of the 34-to-67-month sentencing range because of the defendant targeting two vulnerable girls with alcohol and sex.
Goebel ordered Mattson to a minimum of 67 months (five years and seven months) to a maximum of 10 years in prison on the criminal sexual conduct assault charge. The judge sentenced him to 23 months to up to four years in prison on the accosting charge.
Mattson was given credit for serving 201 days in jail. He was ordered to pay a total of $326 in fines and costs. He was also ordered to have no contact with the two victims.