Warm ­summer on the horizon

ESCANABA — Upper Peninsula residents hoping for a warm summer in 2017 may be in luck. According to the Climate Prediction Center (CPC), there is a greater-than-climatological chance that above-normal temperatures will be seen across the U.P. from May through July this year.

“It’s actually favoring more towards above-average temperatures,” Greg Michels said. Michels is a meteorologist for the National Weather Service’s Marquette field office.

While warmer temperatures are currently expected to be the most likely outcome for the summer of 2017 in the U.P., Michels said this does not mean they are the only possibility. The CPC is predicting a 37 percent chance of temperatures being above-average from May through July, a 34 percent chance of temperatures being near-average during this time period, and a 29 percent chance of temperatures being below-average.

“That’s not to say that it couldn’t be a cold, cold time period then,” he said.

Currently, the CPC is forecasting equal chances of above-average, near-average, and below-average precipitation levels in the U.P. from May through July. Michels noted this is not unusual.

“For precipitation, that’s a lot more difficult to forecast than a general trend in temperatures,” he said.

Michels also said the presence of large bodies of water in the area, and the precipitation that lake breezes can create, further complicates matters.

“The Great Lakes can really mess things up,” he said.

For more information on weather in the Upper Peninsula, visit the official website for the National Weather Service’s Marquette field office at www.weather.gov/mqt.

COMMENTS